A while ago I came across this blog (Note: the blog is in Dutch? The link is to an english translation. If you want to view the blog in its original language click here.) which was full of cross-stitch patterns.  I was drawn in equally by the patterns and the story of how they came to be there.  The patterns were discovered tucked away in an elderly aunt’s attic. They were then digitised by a group of women who generously gave their time and finally posted on the web for us all to share. I love that these old patterns will not be forever lost, and that from a time long ago and a place I’ve never been, as I sat and stitched I felt a connection with other stitchers, a sisterhood that reaches both backwards and forwards, far beyond right here and now. So thank you to all the women who gave of themselves.

Below are some pictures of a journal cover I made using one of the patterns from Aunt’s Attic. It is stitched on 27count pre-aged linen, stitched using DMC thread. The fabric for the remainder of the cover is a Julie Wallace (Quilter’s Barn) design. It’s a piece I bought at a craft show a while back – just because I loved it. I’ve been waiting for the right project to use it on since then (you know – the fat quarter you pull out of your stash and just feel from time to time – not yet ready to cut just yet).  It had just the right coloured raspberry in the design to match the stitching, so I thought it was time to use it. I have added some ric-rac down the side edges.  All in all, I’m quite pleased with the results.

Advertisements